Use this simple Dodging and passing drill in practice and pregame warm-ups if you want your players to score those easy "lay-ups" right in front of the goal!
Hopkins used this simple Dodge from "X" to beat Virginia in Overtime this season. Check out the full game highlights here.
Dodging or attacking from behind the goal is a great place to start to get in front and score. It's also a great way to force the Defense to "Slide!" to stop the ball, leaving another Attacker open up field in a better shooting position in front of the goal.
- Related: Teach all your players how to "Draw!" the extra Defender, then "Dump!" the ball to the open man.
Imitate common game situations in practice! We love this shooting drill because it copies the exact positions your players will be in, with the exact passes and shots they will likely see during games. Plus, this shooting drill keeps it simple for your players, with just two guys working together around the goal.
HERE'S THE DRILL:
You can do this drill with or without a Goalie in practice or pregame. Whatever keeps the drill and your players' feet and sticks moving! Don't let your players stand still in line for more than a few seconds.
Figure 1.) Set up your players in two lines- one behind the goal and one in front. The line in front of the goal should be at or around the "high Crease," 5-10 yards up from the top of the goal crease. Give Blue 1 enough space to Dodge and get in front of the goal, and enough space for Blue 2 to catch and shoot without going into the Crease.
RELATED PRACTICE DRILLS:
- Two-Line College Shooting Drills: Tons of options in this series of shooting drills we see top college coaches using to give their players tons of reps passing and dodging before they shoot!
- Dodge and Feed Close-Crease Shooting Drill: This is a great shooting drill we see top college teams using in pregame warm-ups to practice finishing in tight, close to the goal, plus let the Goalies see tons of shots!
- Full-Field Clearing, Passing and Shooting Drill: Use this simple full-field set-up to practice moving the ball down field before your players get the chance to shoot!
- Sweep Dodge Shooting Drill: This simple college shooting drill lets your players practice Dodging to the middle of the field where they can get good shooting positions in front of the goal!